Post graduation I thought my life would be a little less on the go but turns out I was all wrong about that. Even though I am only working part time, it seems like I am still, just as much as I was in college, eating on the run. So I thought I’d share some tips with you about how I manage this on the go eating in a healthy way:
1. When buying groceries, think about your week ahead and be realistic. As great as it would be to have the time to, to as soon as you get home from the grocery store measure out everything into on the go baggies, maybe that’s not realistic. So think about spending the extra $1 or so to have them pre-packaged. Some of my favorites are: baby carrots, apple slices, almonds, and pistachios.
2. Avoid buying the grab and go salty and sugary snacks. If you don’t have them you can’t eat them.
3. Buy an insulated lunch box and an ice pack. This opens up your ability to pack many other healthy snacks such as low fat string cheese, yogurt, and sandwiches with deli meat.
4. Plan ahead. If you know you are going to have a busy week, take a couple hours on the weekend to prepare your snacks/on the go meals. Or if you are like me and your mornings always seem to be a little more jam packed than you expected, pack your snacks the night before.
5. Drink water. This can’t be emphasized enough. Water is essential to maintaining health and your waistline.
Some of my favorite on the go snacks include:
Bananas, grapes, low fat string cheese, apples, almonds, pistachios, Greek yogurt, baby carrots, cucumber slices, and whole wheat crackers and peanut/almond butter.
I hope this helps! Happy Monday! 🙂